Wednesday 7 January 2015

Gym Etiquette | Make up and The Gym

If any of you guys follow me on Twitter you'll know that the past few months I have been making an effort to eat a little better and start using my gym membership on a regular basis (I now go to the gym three times a week) and since going to the gym, yes I've noticed my skin has cleared up, I have more energy and of course there is the added benefit trying on clothes with confidence, but today I'm going to talk about something that bothers me about health, specifically the gym, and low and behold this time for me the issue all comes down to make up (shocking right?!)


Now as you'll know I love make up, I would not leave the house bare faced any more than I would leave the house just in my pants but something I can never and will never be able to get my head around is ladies and gents who insist on wearing a full face of perfectly contoured and lined make up to the gym. First of all it is such a waste of money, I would never choose to drip my £20 a bottle foundation all over the equipment in the gym or to smear my best eyeliners across my face mid workout and secondly, I point blank refuse to believe you are working out effectively if you come out with you make up still perfectly intact! 

In fact one fun story recently which sort of lead me to this snapping point which I had to share with you was post workout (I'm talking spin class, cross trainer, weight training and a good half hour on the stepper) I saw a girl who had walked in the same time as me, full face of 1950's pin up make up and pin curls in her hair, all still in place and still flawless and as she puffed a little sigh of, 'oh that was such a great work out' I just straight up said there is just no way! (Her little puff kind of reminded me of that scene in Friends where Rachel is giving birth that that cute little woman made her pathetic 'contraction' noise)

This particular post was spurred mainly to say people of the world, the Granite City in particular, enough is enough, nobody cares what sort of sweaty mess you look like at the gym and if they do well they'll just continue to waste their money on a membership they aren't using appropriately.  

Skincare Savvy; Why you should never wear make up for a work out:
  • When you sweat your pores open up, which allows dirt and bacteria from the days nasties to be secreted, but make up prevents secretion and can lead to the clogging of your pores which as you know can create spots, blackheads and terrible breakouts.
  • It is simply poor etiquette to sweat your foundation all over the machines.
  • You look ridiculous, more ridiculous in fact than if you had just wiped off the make up in the first place, panda eyes and a runny complexion are not a good look.
  • At risk of sounding a great deal like my dad, 'It is not a fashion parade' you're there to get fit not to flirt, save your money and your make up!
  • If you're worrying about what you're wearing or how you look exercising, you aren't exercising.

My gym skincare routine:
Of course this routine isn't as rigorous as my usual home, morning and bedtime skincare routines but these are the products I use at the gym to keep risk of dirty nasties down:

Garnier Goodbye Dry Cleanser (with cotton pads to remove make-up)
Arbonne Gentle Facial Cleanser (to get rid of any make up which is stuck on there)
Nivea Moisturising Cream (what it says on the tube!)

I understand that going bare faced and baring all can be a daunting prospect, especially for gym newbies, but would you rather put up with acne prone skin and a great body, or would you rather have the best of both worlds out with the confines of your gym walls?

I hope you've enjoyed this rather different and rather ranty post today (apologies) but I'd love to hear your thoughts below, is there anything that bothers you about the outside world or the inner workings of your local gym? Be sure to let me know in the comments below, come share them with me on Twitter or if you'd like to keep up with my latest's you can find me on Bloglovin


Until next time folks, I'll be the one not sweating off my best make up.

H.Elizabeth xx

8 comments:

  1. If I go to the gym first thing in the morning I never bother to put make-up on, but if I go straight from work I sometimes forget to take make-up wipes or cleanser with me so just end up leaving my make-up on...I'm usually a sweaty mess with mascara running down my face by the end of it though so I usually prefer to just leave my make-up off!
    It's a shame lots of girls don't feel confident enough to go bare-faced though and I often worry that people will judge me!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a real shame, especially as they are unaware of the long term damage they may be doing to their skin which unfortunately is covered with heavier make up, it's a vicious cycle, especially if you're embarassed about the condidtion of your skin.

      Hannah xx

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  2. I wear literally only mascara to the gym unless I've had to go straight from work and if I do I try to remember some wipes - it's much better for your skin to be able to breathe and sweat naturally in the gym! If I'm not resembling a tomato with a sweaty ponytail when I leave I haven't worked hard enough!

    It really is a shame that people don't feel confident or comfortable enough in the gym to go bare faced - you're there for you, not anyone else!

    Katie || K NEL xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exactly the same, I remember I once wore mascara to the gym on one of my first goes and I felt I looked more ridiculous than if I hadn't wore make up at all. It's a shame men aren't criticized as heavily for their appearance when working out, women seem to have to stay in this perfect bubble of chizzled cheeks and no sweat!

      Hannah xx

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  3. I have to be honest and say that I do not trust girls who wear makeup to the gym. You're either trying to pick up a guy, in which case why are you even here?!, or you're trying to cover up a deep dark secret and honestly that's just scary lol

    Really great post though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's a new one, but sadly yes I feel this way too, sometimes it looks as if they're just there to show off which is a shame because some people are genuinely trying to get fit and better their health!

      Hannah x

      Delete
  4. Ahhh I totally agree. I've tweeted rants about this before, it drives me up the wall. I usually just have the left over from work on my face but if its the weekend I don't even bother.. Only gna get red and sweaty anyway haha! I know a girl who instagrams her gym outfit, hair and make up all the time and that drives me bonkers too haha!

    Sarah

    warsawsworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like there is at least one in every gym across the country in that case. Sometimes I just don't understand it, it looks so bad to come out of the gym all panda eyed and face melting - it's all a bit Indiana Jones for my liking!

      Hannah

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig