Wednesday 1 June 2016

MUA Moans | The True Cost of Make up artistry


Since embarking on my new make up artistry journey over these last few months I really do feel as though I've seen it all, the good, the bad and the ugly (i.e. unblended shadow, unblended shadow EVERYWHERE!) But in all seriousness today, I'd quite like to address a post that sort of made my blood boil recently on one of the many many MUA / wedding forums on Facebook relating to one bride in particular who quite simply saw her wedding and make up for the day as a god given right. 

The post in question was from a lady down south who wanted to give one 'learning but highly skilled' make up artist the privilege of working on her face for her wedding FREE of charge instead paying the artist in exposure, and her reason? She does not have it in her allocated wedding budget to pay a make up artist but is quite happy for whichever poor soul she is able to rope in to this utter, utter scam to take pictures of her on her big day. Now I'm sure all of you creatives out there have come across this at some point in your life, and it is RIFE in the wedding industry, with a lot of brides expecting free trials, free alterations, photographs, you name it! After seeing this post and understandably feeling a bit tetchy I sat down to write this post and basically outline the main three reasons make up artists charge what they charge.

Time
Time is quite a large factor when it comes to charging for various make up artistry. For example an evening make up will take less time than a bridal appointment. But people forget that it isn't just time spent with your client, it's time drawing up face charts and contracts, it's time sitting down with your client and discussing their requirements, it's time sanitizing your kit and making sure you're giving your client the best possible experience and service, and particularly for those working in a salon or studio, for brides it's time spent away from that salon.

High Quality Products
I've seen people screw their faces at being charged £30 or so for occasion make up, but did you know that some of the individual products your artist is using can cost upwards of £30, particularly if they stock brands such as MAC. So you're not just paying for time, application and knowledge but the products too. Some artists will use your own foundation and your own products if you request this and they'll charge you at a lower rate but generally you want the best of the best for your big day or event and at the end of the day you're paying for use of their kit.

Expertise
Just like any other profession you're paying your artist to use knowledge they've studied and acquired through various courses, degrees, training and painstaking hours spent getting those flicks on fleek! Basically your artist has put a great deal of work into their craft and it ain't cheap for them either. It's a bit like if you hired a decorator to help you achieve the dream home you've always wanted, would you expect this service for free, or ask your handyman to do this for the experience? Probably not.

Now obviously this is a very quick, thrown together and basic list of just why you're being charged that £30, but there is so much more. From advertising and marketing yourself to researching new products, keeping on top of the current trends, travelling to various locations, replacing disposables on a weekly basis and generally working your arse off to man and own your one person business (and guys that's the TIP of the iceberg)

Have you ever had your make up done professionally? Did you find it was worth the money or were you left questioning why you were charged so much? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below, come share your brain with me on Twitter, or if you'd like to see more faces you can visit me on Instagram and Facebook.

Until next time folks.

H. Adams Make Up Artistry x

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting this! (I am so punny...)

    This is such a common issue in any creative industry and having experienced it myself, my only advice would be to anyone being asked to do something for exposure - lay out your costings to a potential client (as you have done above) and show them why you charge for your services and what they get!

    Bethan Vincent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love the pun!

      Yeah I find it is quite rife in blogging too, someone always wants something for nothing. Perhaps creatives out to just pop together a list and hand it to everyone trying to pay in exposure!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl

      Delete
  2. This post has just brought a lot of memories. I can totally agree with you.I like the illustrations you used especially the one of the handyman.People are not aware of how much background work muas have to do. We slave to keep our kits and after that someone doesn't want to pay you or defend your pricing. People just don't respect that. May be we all need to bump up our prices like Jaguar and Iphones or even like some celebrity muas and aim for clientele that can afford us. If you cant afford it then byeee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the scenarios really help put it into perspective for a lot of people, you wouldn't ask a chef to cook a 3 course meal for you for the experience so I just don't understand why people take such liberties with creatives.

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  3. I write for a living so I feel your pain! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally rife in the blogging community too. Think I may be in the wrong businesses haha!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  4. My wedding MUA wouldn't accept payment for my trials as I was her first ever bride and she actually offered the trials in exchange for pictures for her portfolio. I am forever grateful to her for this and she will be getting a big ass thank you gift post wedding! :)

    Christy x
    www.dinnerstories.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was really nice of her, which I completely understand in her case, the woman in question phrased her search like this, 'I'm looking for a highly skilled MUA in training who would like to do my wedding make up and in exchange I will let you take my picture,' so there was no offer of getting to use the professional pictures either which was shocking. So funny though what some people will try!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  5. I am getting my hair and makeup done for the first time for my wedding! Trial is next month. If you have any tips or tricks I would love to hear them :) I hire MUA for work doing photoshoots for a corporation so I definitely understand all the work that goes into it!

    xx Kasey

    kasestyles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasey, congratulations on your up coming wedding! What I would suggest is on the day of your trial just make sure your skin is in as top condition as possible so continue with your cleansing, moisturising and skincare routine as usual and your make up will just sit better and last longer. Another tip I would give you is to come in with some idea of what you are after but ask her to go in lightly and build up coverage and intensity of the look especially for the eyes!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  6. Hey, thanks for sharing. It was very interesting to read. This is one of the best makeup guys http://elstile.com/ I've ever seen. Check them out, if you're interested. Maybe you'll find there some useful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well composed articles like yours renews my faith in today’s writers. You’ve written information I can ultimately agree with as well as make use of.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template by pipdig