Wednesday 14 January 2015

My Coffee Table | Latest Reads

Over the past few months I have had a little bit of an obsession with the phenomenon sweeping the nation, blogosphere and coffee tables everywhere and since then I have gained quite an impressive library of fashion, beauty and lifestyle books, discovered some great authors and spent more than I care to think of in Waterstones! So in light of my recent discoveries and additions I thought I would share with you my top picks in fashion, beauty and lifestyle reads from my own coffee table.



A London Year: 365 Days of City Life in Diaries, Journals and Letters
A London Year is a collection or journal entries, diary excerpts and short musings from various individuals which date back to Tudor times and takes you right through to the 21st century, I really enjoy just picking this book up at any page and reading a little except and it really shows how much London has changed and how far people have come especially when you read an excerpt about the war, air raids and even executions. This is a lovely thick hard back book which is a great addition to anyone who loves reading about history, people's lives or who just loves London past or present!

Elvgren: Complete Pin-Ups Book
Pin up is something I have loved and admired style wise for a good while now and I love the glamour that comes hand in hand with post war 1950s style, in fact one of my greatest discoveries of this past year has been pin up You Tube sensation the Cherry Dollface. This book is a tribute to one of the world's greatest pin up illustrators, Gil Elvgren who liked to photograph models and then paint them into a hyper reality of long legs, gravity defying hair and flawless make up. This is actually a book I have had for years, and I use this when I'm looking for make up or style inspiration with a vintage feel.

Paris Street Style: A Guide to Effortless Chic
One of my most recent purchases and I'll tell you for fashion and beauty enthusiasts it's a definite page turner. Since adding this nifty wee book to my collection I haven't been able to put it down, the ideas inside are inspired and even if you're not looking to read too much then the outfits captured inside are enough to satisfy your style cravings. With styling tips, interviews and inspirational quotes from French and fashion greats alike this  book can help you develop your own personal style with a Parisian flair for everyday glamour with that highly coveted je nais se quois.

So I hope you've enjoyed reading my coffee table picks, of course this is only part of our collection and we're always looking to expand so if you have any great reads we have missed out be sure to share them with me in the comments below or come share them with me on Twitter or if you'd like to keep up with the latest Granite City reviews, antics and adventures be sure to follow me on Bloglovin

My head will be in a book, until next time folks! 

H.Elizabeth x


2 comments:

  1. I love the Gil Elvgren book! Pin ups are just so wonderful to look at. Never heard of the Paris Street Style though, definitely going to go look it up now though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations inside are stunning and serve for some fab style inspiration, perhaps one day I'll be brave enough to dawn a full pin up girl look! Maybe... The street style book is marvellous , there is also a Berlin Street Style book which is more eccentric but I love the timeless beauty and style that comes from Paris.

      Hannah xx

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig