Sunday 18 January 2015

Domestic Goddess | Apple and Cinnamon Flapjacks

With my healthy eating going relatively well (for three weeks in a row, what an achievement) I thought it was high time I got back into my kitchen and began to experiment with some healthier snacks and sweet treats to stave off any hunger pangs, cravings and general sweet toothiness I get throughout my days and I thought what better way than some sweet and fruity flapjacks?

Following a general flapjack recipe I altered it slightly to make it a bit healthier and Granite City Girl friendly (by simply adding honey, apple and cinnamon) and with it having become my new health friendly snack I thought I would share it with you guys as part of my year of health and well-being. 


Equipment
Scales 
Shallow tin
Baking Parchment
Wooden Spoon
Grater

Ingredients
115g Margarine 
75g Brown Sugar
250g Rolled Oats
4 tbsp Honey (add or take away depending on how gooey you like them)
1.5 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 Apples

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 180°C, grease and line your shallow tin with baking parchment ready for your mixture.
  2. Add the butter, sugar and honey to a pan and place over medium heat until melted. Remove from the heat and add your rolled oats and ground cinnamon. Grate your apples, skin on or off, entirely your choice and add this to the mixture too.
  3. Spoon your mixture into the shallow tin and press into corners of the tin with a fork, bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Once golden brown remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes then cut into squares (or any shape you so choose)
  4. For decoration you can add a few slices of apple to the top or you can drizzle over some honey.
These are really fun to make and you can even substitute the apples for pears, bananas or even chocolate, they're so versatile and you can always make them that little bit healthier... you know if you really want to mess with the masters recipe! Of course I'm not saying if you eat these everyday you'll lose a great deal of weight or that its a miraculous hidden health gem, but it's a damn sight better than eating a massive cake or chocolate bar on a daily basis.

So now that I'm back to baking I'd love to hear what you've been doing in the kitchen, especially if your home bakes are relatively healthy, and of course if you do give these flapjacks a go be sure to leave me a comment below and let me know how it goes. As always I love hearing from you be sure to catch me on Twitter or if you'd like to see more from the Granite City you can follow me on Bloglovin.

Until next time, I'll be baking.

H.Elizabeth xx

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tasted pretty good too, just going by my own opinion though as my partner refuses to eat anything remotely healthy! Haha

      Hannah xx

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  2. These sound delicious! I love apple and cinnamon, such a good combination :) xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple and cinnamon are my favourite flavours and scents, I had thought of adding chocolate but that would defeat the purpose of making something a bit healthy haha!

      Hannah xx

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  3. These look so tasty! I normally stick to my peanut butter flapjacks but I'm going to have to give these a go!

    Katie xx

    OkayKate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh peanut butter flapjacks sound lovely! I will have it give those a go next time! :)

      Hannah xx

      http://granitecitygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig