Friday 31 July 2015

MAC Lipstick | Brick o La Review



It has been quite a little while since I have done a new MAC lippy review for you and unfortunately there has been a reason, and it has not been sensibilities about money, revelations about finance or general practicalities, oh no it has actually been my disdain and overall experiences in MAC the last couple of times I have attempted (yes I do say attempted) to buy a MAC product from my local in Union Square, but that's an issue I will tackle another time as I fear we may be here all day!

On to lighter and brighter things, the ladies from work were so lovely as to gift me a MAC voucher for my birthday back in May and for what feels like a long time now, I have hummed, haaed and hoed about what exactly I wanted to buy. I had been thinking on beginning an eyeshadow palette, or purchasing one of their mascaras and I briefly toyed with the idea of starting my own MAC brush collection, but then I thought, 'who am I kidding? I want more lippy!'

So in the tradition and spirit of searching for a new shade I invented a few pretty clever excuses for reasons I needed pretty specific shades in my ever expanding collection. This time I needed a 'golden berry colour' to warm up my summer without going to autumn / winter, much like my shade Party Line....basically and in short I wanted a light everyday red! Having previously fallen in love with the Beauty Collections, ' Call the Hairdresser ' but after a string of bad luck and poor timing it just seemed it wasn't meant to be I found my match in the form of Brick o La which according to Mac is a 'mid toned berry red' just up my street for summer.

Part of their amplified creme range, this colour is highly pigmented and doesn't dry out your lips as I hear matte Mac shades are pretty notorious for. This range isn't new to me, I'd say I have played it pretty safe as 3 of my other shades have an amplified creme finish, I'm not sure what is it, it's perhaps the allure of the shade going on to the brush or how slick the colours look in their tubes, either way  I'm always wary and a bit put off by how dry and used the matte testers look. As I say I love the feeling of this lippy on and it isn't drying at all and tends to last an entire evening on the town with say one minor touch up if you're wining and dining!

The shade itself I feel really 'pops' against my pale complexion and comes out as more of a burnt / golden red, which is exactly what I was looking for. I very rarely now wear a lipstick without a liner as I usually think this is how you can really make the most of the colour and you can get some amazing effects and colour combinations and really just have a little fun with it, but in this case the colour is so deep and pigmented you really don't need a thing. Although to style this for a night on the town or special occasion, as I recently have, I use Rimmel's 'Red Diva' liner to line and fill in my lips which just offers a bit more depth to the colour.

This is a shade I really think is going to get a fair bit of use throughout the rest of summer and during my upcoming summer 'va-cay' should it be cool enough that it doesn't melt! What do you guys think of this shade? Whats your current make up / lippy obsession, I'd love to hear about it in the comments below! Otherwise I hope you have enjoyed this review, as you've seen I have been trying to cut down on my Mac reviews so as not to bore you too much, but bear with me ladies and gents it is a process!! Be sure to leave your thoughts below, come share them with me on Twitter, or if you'd like to keep up with the latest posts be sure to follow me on Bloglovin.

Until next time folks, heading down Mac's brick o la road.

H.Elizabeth x

2 comments:

  1. Fab post, and oh no sucks to hear that you had a bad time with MAC. Brick o La is a gorgeous shade and is one I’ll definitely be swatching next time I’m at my local MAC.

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're lukcy I love the products and physically swatching else I'd never be back haha! It took me a while to find this shade, I knew exactly what I was looking for but I often get so overwhelmed by the choice and just end up giving up haha!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig