Friday 10 July 2015

Granite City Child | Childhood Quirks and Musings




One of my favourite programmes on television has got to be You've Been Framed particularly the cat and children segments because they do and say the funniest things, in fact it has quickly become one of my favourite past times to watch such videos on You Tube and I could literally waste hours laughing myself into a sleepy stupor with my iPad, and most nights I often do! But as you know, writing inspiration strikes in the damnest places and I thought it might be fun to share some of the sillier things I remember from my childhood that I used to think were true or real or just generally some silliness.

1) Before the age of 5 I used to call a dressing gown a 'gasshing goon' which now saying it out loud as an adult sounds like a wound or something quite disturbing to say the least. I'm not entirely sure why I thought this or said it like this but it just happened to be one of my earliest quirks.

2) When I was much younger my family rented the animated version of Charlotte's Web in which at the end (spoilers) Charlottes' babies (spiders in case you didn't know) fly away on little parachutes leaving Wilbur alone with only 1 baby spider left (who can't fly)... and I literally thought baby spiders were born with little webbed parachutes attached to them. The fact they didn't in fact fly away when they hatch was only brought to my attention 2 years ago, needless to say my reality was shattered and I was also slightly relieved!

3) I used to think that when I hit the age of 16 that I would magically become tanned with long blonde hair just like Barbie because that's what most girls were in the movies and of course that's what Barbie and Britney had! (This is a sad state of affairs for beauty standards in children!)

4) As a kid I used to think you could get sucked down the drain when you took the plug out of a bath - this is due to a very poorly constructed episode of Sesame Street (or the Muppets) in which the baby is sucked down the drain.

5) Whenever I was getting something taken off over my head for example a vest or jumper I used to scream, and I don't just mean a little, I mean blue murder! Again I'm not sure what I thought was going to happen, but I still do this if I get stuck in a dress in New Look or somewhere the clothes are ridiculously small... (true story)

Well guys I hope my little life musings have cheered you up today, my reminiscing has cheered me up no end and I have to say that these little quirks and musings are what I'm looking forward to seeing when I have my own kids some day, you know as long as the quirks aren't loud or disgusting...
 
 
As always if you have enjoyed this post be sure to leave your comments below, I would love to hear if you had any childhood quirks or just plain stupid things you used to say or do as they make me smile, or of course if you'd just like to keep up with me and the latest Granite City Girl posts you can catch me on the Twittersphere or the blog in Bloglovin'

Until next time folks, I'll be chilling in my gasshing goon (which thankfully does not go over my head!)

H.Elizabeth x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template by pipdig