Friday 18 September 2015

Beauty How To | How to clean your make up brushes thoroughly



As much as I would love to sit here and tell you that I am a creature of habit that simply isn't true, unless you count a monthly (weekly) make up purchase as a habit, albeit a bad habit but a habit all the same. So when it came to writing this post I thought you know what let's just get all of our cards out on the table and show the world how poor a beauty blogger I really can be, so here goes. I, Hannah Adams, am guilty of leaving my make up brushes to stew in their own mess for 2 (okay 3!) week periods without a ritualistic cleaning... there I said it, and yes I do feel better for it. But you know what doesn't feel better? My face!

So in order to pull me from my make up brush cleaning slump I thought what better way to give myself a swift kick up the backside than to write about it so I feel obligated to clean them weekly! Today therefore I would like to share my very thorough brush cleaning routine and share a pledge with you today that I, Hannah Adams, henceforth here and forever promise to clean all of my make up brushes at least once a week from here on out. And so without further ado, here are my tips, tricks and general routine for cleaning my make up brushes:

What you will need:

A small tea plate
Washing up liquid
Olive Oil
Alcohol Make up brush cleaning solution (For this I use one from MAC)
A clean dishtowel

Method:
  1. Squirt some washing up liquid on to your tea plate and add an equal amount of olive oil to the centre.
  2. Take your make up brush and swirl it around really getting in there and watch all of the liquid seep into your brush.
  3. Rinse your brush under a running tap, squeezing out any excess soap and olive oil. Usually I rotate the brush on the palm of my hand under the water then squeeze it out gently.
  4. 'Shampoo' your brushes with the alcohol solution, for this I use the MAC make up brush cleaner.
  5. Use your dishtowel to dry off your brush, it will still be a little damp so wrap the head of your brush in the dishtowel and leave over night.
  6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 for all of your make up brushes and you're good to go!
I am aware the way I am washing my brushes is perhaps not the right way, best way or even the second best way but it has served me well throughout the last couple of years and my brushes always come out conditioned and squeaky clean! But of course as you know I am always open to your comments, feedback and general musings so if this post has helped you or you think I need help be sure to leave your thoughts below, come share them with me on Twitter or if you want to see more of my now clean and blemish free face and brushes be sure to follow Granite City Girl on Bloglovin.

Until next time folks, squeaky clean with my weekly routine!

H.Elizabeth x

9 comments:

  1. Aw these are some excellent tips! I really do need to get better at cleaning mine. Love your photo too! xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so lazy when it comes to cleaning my brushes and honestly I don't even have that many!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  2. Such great tips especially as it's my day to get onto them, I have been super lazy it's such an effort but so worth it !! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really such a thought, but nothing better than clean brushes! The feeling is right up there with warm slippers during the winter!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  3. Reminded me that I need to clean my makeup brushes tonight! I've never tried using olive oil to clean them before, but I've heard it's good so I definitely want to give that a go.

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely and conditioning, really any oil will do, I used to use vegetable oil but its so good for the brushes. Let me know how you get on!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  4. Honestly, I'm rubbish at remembering to clean my brushes, too. Haha, I've got to try this out. I've never tried olive oil before.

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how little I was cleaning my brushes and how I would forget because I literally use them everyday! My skin has not been the greatest at the moment so need to crack down especially for winter.

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete
  5. Using alcohol making brush cleaner is the best idea. I used non -alcoholic cleaner and my brushes were not very clean. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Best regards!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template by pipdig