Friday 6 March 2015

Worst Dressed Lists | Harmless fun or a backstep for feminism?

As we wave goodbye to another awards season you'll, like me, have been over saturated of late with the latest and greatest fashion has to offer, with best dressed lists appearing in magazines, online and of course on fashion blogs all over the world, but today I want to talk about the flip side of our best dressed idols, today I take a stand and make a case against the worst dressed lists of the world.

Since the dawn of fashion we have had an ranking system of fabulous and faux pas and throughout the years I will hold my hands up and admit they have been my guilty pleasure. Spare 5 minutes on a lunch break I'm flicking through a magazine looking at the latest and greatest of the fashion industry but I'm also looking at the supposedly shoddy statements the fashion and particularly celebrity world has to offer, and this year I feel the internet in particular has been rife with negativity surrounding this subject recently and I just want to say today, it's not okay!


Put yourself in their position for a moment if you will, you're off for a night on the town to celebrate a year of hard work and dedication to your craft (I suppose it's much like our office Christmas parties minus the pressure) You've had a look on your mind for some time now, your hair, make up and outfit have undoubtedly been a year in the making, you put on your glad rags feeling like a million bucks and you're off for a night of fun, frolics and glamour. Except you're not and that is never made more evident than when looking online, in the newspapers and in magazines of the coming months. instead what you're really in for is an evening of being picked apart by strangers, cameras flashed in your face when you least expect it and god forbid, what if you need to scratch your nose when you're there?! But I digress, you flick open the pages of your favourite magazine and lo and behold there you are shamed and slated for the very outfit you have been planning for months, heartbreaking is the only way that can be described.

In a world where feminism now reigns supreme. in magazines, online and in day to day life, how can it be justified for one woman to so publicly name and shame another for their appearance, dress sense or style? Surely this is a counterproductive method of sharing in girl and lady power alike, and not to mention in poor taste! Are we scraping the barrel so much so in the journalism and writing world that all we have left to talk about are the fashion faux pas of the rich and famous surely not!? As a suggestion (which I highly doubt anybody will heed but it must be said) why not simply celebrate the diversity in fashion and celebrity culture we have today? And if you dislike a look just don't include it, this appears to me to be a basic pre schooler lesson, 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all,'


But of course as some of you will be screaming out at me through your screens we are reaching somewhat of a turning point in the fashion world, with journalists (good ones anyway) ranking actors and actresses in particular on their craft and talent over  'who they're wearing' or 'how long it took to get styled' and with campaigns such as 'Ask her more' reigning supreme on our television screens, and of course the imminent descent of shows such as Fashion Police I feel we are only paving the way for bigger and better things in both the fashion world and world of film, music and celebrity.

Style for me, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and with personal tastes as varied as ever I think this is a time where we can learn from one another as opposed to criticizing each others choices. Let me know what your guys opinions of the 'Worst Dressed' lists circulating the internet are, do you perhaps agree with them? Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments box below or come Tweet them at me and as always if you'd like to keep up with the latest Granite City Girl posts you can follow me on Bloglovin'

Until next time folks, I'm going to rock my 'worst dressed' frock.

H.Elizabeth x

2 comments:

  1. I really love your post. Yes the world needs to know the woman support not her garment
    Love your blog, hope to see you soon on my blog

    xx
    http://liveitcolorfully.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! The #AskHerMore campaign is something I feel very strongly about particularly when we see so many women only described to the extent of her dress!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl

      xx

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig