Wednesday 13 January 2016

Down in the dumps | How To Beat the January Blues


How to beat the blues

New year, new you right? Wrong. Never have I ever hated a seemingly harmless little phrase with every fibre of my being as much as I hate those that come around with the beginning of a New Year, because let's be totally honest, what difference does that transition from 11.59pm on December 31st to 12.00am on January 1st really mean in the grand scheme of things? One minute if we're going to be cynical and honest (just like me, same year round)

But if I'm going to level with you today what I dislike the most about a New Year are the dreaded January blues, and this year they have hit me with a vengeance, harder than ever before and as I have been reading in the blogosphere, hearing in work and just noticing generally it's hitting everyone like a tonne of bricks this year. 

So instead of wallowing in self pity I thought I'd be a little proactive and do something about it and see what can help pull me from my New Year slump and today I am going to share my wisdom, as ever with my tips on how to beat the January blues.

Keep yourself busy with your hobbies and interests;
There can be so much pressure to go out and try something brand new and shiny just because it's a New Year, but you know what if that hula hooping class isn't for you, or if you quite simply don't fancy taking up knitting then don't! Do what you enjoy most whether it's vegging out with a movie or going for a 10K run every day (whatever floats your boat!) dont feel pressured into something all brand new because of the calendar date.

Don't feel fitness pressure
Whoever decided that January was the best time to attack your body with fitness classes and all manner of dieting was quite frankly a madman. It's dark, dull, rainy, cold and the last thing on our minds is rushing out for the latest spin and pump class. If you're feeling the fitness fever by all means indulge your odd cravings but don't be a sheep you'll just come home tired, sweaty and miserable!

Pamper session in your pad
Sky high spa pampering sessions are a thing of the past now we have our best friends Lush, the Body Shop and not forgetting our budget friendly Boots stores. Settle down with a DVD, slap on a facemask, indulge in a foot treatment and get your lotions, potions and body butters ready and get set for relaxation!

Switch off and detox your digital life
 Last year I detoxed my digital life and it worked wonders for my stress levels and general sanity. There is so much negativity online these days it doesn't do to dwell online for more than an hour or so, even less so when you're suffering from a case of the blues.

Hopefully you guys aren't suffering quite as badly as I feel I am this year, but to be honest the dreich weather and Aberdeen floods haven't been helping any! How do you beat the blues? January or otherwise I'd love to hear your top tips to destress and detox negativity, be sure to leave your tips in the comments below, come share your own words of wisdom with me on Twitter, or if you'd like to keep up with me, my blues and my relaxation days be sure to follow Granite City Girl on Bloglovin.

Until next time folks, keeping calm and carrying on.

H.Elizabeth x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template by pipdig