Sunday 12 April 2015

Social Media | Posting about Exercise and Weight Loss

I have never been one to document every detail of my private life on social media, god knows there are plenty of ladies and gents out there who over share and it has just never appealed to me to become one of them. Honestly who cares what I had for lunch or what kind of underwear my mothers cats aunt wears? However, having said recently I have become a bit more of a social sharer online when it comes to my health and fitness endeavours and I thought I would share an explanation as to why I find this helpful, productive and generally a great thing despite potentially annoying others in the social arena.

Throughout my life I have struggled with my health particularly when it comes to weight loss and healthy eating after adopting excuse upon excuse, and trust me I have used them all from 'I'm too busy' and 'I'm too tired' and even sometimes 'It just isn't practical for my lifestyle' and it wasn't until I reached a near 13 stone that I decided something had to be done and finally take my health a bit more seriously. So through a combination of a healthier eating plan and (VERY) regular trips to the gym I have successfully lost 3 stone and finally feel a bit more comfortable within my size 12 clothes and most importantly within myself, but today's post isn't about my entire weight loss journey, instead I want to share something that may seem so small and insignificant to outsiders looking in but that played a role in my own determination and drive in bettering my life and that is the use of Twitter and social platforms to keep me motivated.


 
Prior to my own experience I used to think people posting certain aspects of their lives on social media was obnoxious. My eyes would roll into the back of my head whenever I saw someone share a post workout selfie or document their salad choices via social media, that is until I became one of them. Everyday without fail I will probably note which physical activity I'll be doing that day, or perhaps a goal I have for the week (most recently that was an endeavour to cut caffeine down gradually) and I'm sure my posts, tweets and general musings about my new lifestyle have induced some eye rolls too and I don't blame them I found it annoying too. However social media might just be my greatest weight loss tool and motivator. Think about it, by posting your goals on social media you're not just making a pledge to yourself but you're putting it out to the world for all to see, so if you give up it isn't just you who sees it, the world does (don't worry I don't think 'the world' read my tweets but you get my drift) you set certain expectations for yourself and being able to go back in your Twitter history and see whether or not you met those expectations is a great thing.

In a mere 140 characters I was able to find and harness the support network and motivation I needed to keep going, not only do my followers and even strangers cheer me on but I am able to connect with like minded people who share the struggles I have faced in recent years and share tips, recipes and ideas on weight loss and fitness with them and if you are any of those people I have mentioned above I would here like to extent my thanks and gratitude. And of course if you're on the other side of the coin, those whose eyes are sick of rolling well, 'haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate'

Once again guys I hope you have enjoyed having a gander at today's post and I would love to hear your opinions on these sort of Tweets and social media posts, which side of the coin are you on? Perhaps you've found an even better way to keep yourself motivated to get up and go to the gym? As always I love to hear from you, be sure to leave your comments below come share your thoughts with my on Twitter or of course if you'd like to keep up with the latest Granite City posts be sure to follow me on Bloglovin.
 
 
Until next time folks, I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake...

H.Elizabeth x

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! I was thinking the same thing earlier! Why not do brief updates on a healthier life style routine because the kind words of others will be motivating and not only that but you could be somewhat inspiring!

    Congratulations on your weight loss! And I look forward to reading more of your updates! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I was thinking the same thing earlier! Why not do brief updates on a healthier life style routine because the kind words of others will be motivating and not only that but you could be somewhat inspiring!

    Congratulations on your weight loss! And I look forward to reading more of your updates! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I love how technology has opened up so many doors for health, fitness and generally lifestyle alterations. I do hope some of my posts help inspire or motivate people - if only I had taken some before and after pics haha!!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig