Friday 21 November 2014

Doing Your Bit | Cyrenians Aberdeen Rucksack Project 2014








This is another special post which as you'll notice has not been posted on my usual Wednesday or Sunday but I feel it deserves a slot all on it's own as it's a cause that ought to be close to our hearts given we see this cause when we are simply walking down our high street on a daily basis!

 As you'll have possibly seen in my previous post I always try and do a little something for the various charities in and around Aberdeen on an annual basis. This year I took part in the bare face selfie (don't worry you won't have to look at my made under face again for a while!) I ran the Baker Hughes 10K for local Aberdeen animal charity Mrs Murrays Cat and Dog Home and I also took part in the annual Race for Life 10K with my mum.

So with Christmas coming up and this being the most difficult time for those less fortunate I have been looking for something to do to help locally as I always feel charity begins at home (or at least your local high street) and my friend has recently started working alongside local Aberdeen homeless charity the Cyrenians who help the homeless and less fortunate around Aberdeen City.
I must say Cyrenians themselves are not hosting this particular charity event I'm about to talk about but the cause is one and the same, it is called the 'Rucksack Challenge' Basically they are asking people to fill a rucksack (funnily enough) with items that could help the homeless through the harsh winter we seem to be in for.

The challenge is taking place on the 6th of December and they are looking for as many people to get involved as possible, and the task you have to complete is so so simple and you can actually do this with most items from your own home, so no rushing out to buy things, it is incredibly cost effective and not to mention charitable. 

How to get involved:
Simply fill a rucksack of essentials which would help the homeless make it through the harsh winters and stay warm this winter, then show up to the event on the 6th of December and hand it over.

They are looking for everything from warm clothing, to easily heated foods, torches, ponchos, blankets, first aid kits, sleeping bags and even winter boots, no contribution is too big or too small.  As long as the items that you donate are usable and in reasonable condition then they're a huge help.

If you'd like a little more information about the Rucksack Project Aberdeen and the items which would be useful for donating then click here or if you'd like to know a bit more about the Cyrenians then please click here

Over the last couple of weeks I have been looking out a few bits and bobs to hand over on the day so if this has at all inspired you to get involved or maybe theres another charity event you're already contributing towards then I salute you and be sure to leave a comment below on what you're involved in or would like to become a bit more involved in. Hope to see some of you fellow Aberdonians there on the day!

Thank you for taking the time to have a wee read of this, of course drop  a comment below if you are coming along on the day or if there is something similar in your area, as always you can catch me on Twitter or to keep up with the latest, find me on Bloglovin.

Until next time folks.

H.Elizabeth x

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I hadn't heard of it! As part of Her Campus we are all doing the Shoebox Appeal but for local teenagers in Aberdeen which will make it slightly more tricky to find good stuff to fill it but it's a lovely thing to get involved in. You seem very committed to charity work :) We all need to do our small part!

    Laura | www.laurakathren.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best to do at least a few things a year, it's great when you see an individual's idea gaining some traction and really making a difference. Faith in the world has been restored! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template by pipdig