Wednesday 2 December 2015

Granite City Shopping | How to survive a spending ban


There may or may not have been somewhat of an intervention in my home recently. After having a bit of a splurge a couple of weekends ago in Aberdeen's Union Square (for the record Union Square I wholeheartedly blame you!) and coming home with way too many bags to be deemed acceptable I know now that something had to be said, though of course I didn't see it at the time. My spending, at times can be likened to Rebecca Bloomwood and trust me when I say I'm about one more shop away from literally freezing my bank card in a block of ice. 

So having taken everything on board, and coming to terms with the fact that no, I in fact don't need to buy my 5th winter coat of the season I have decided (forced myself) that a spending ban is long overdue, and we all know how bloggers handle spending bans right? Write.... about how I plan to survive my self imposed spending ban.

Understand the difference between essentials and non essentials; my new mantra? Do I need this to continue my day and live my life to the best of my ability? When it comes to that new dress...odds are no, when it comes to that lovely bag of tatties.... perhaps I do yes. Lists here are going to become my best friend particularly when planning my weekly shop and food plan.

Stop prioritising convenience; what do you usually grab out of convenience rather than necessity? Take aways, a Boots meal deal over a lunch from home, the morning Starbucks (that will be the hardest admittedly) and even something as small as a  bottle of juice when really you should be drinking water, you know what they say...every little helps.

Don't be ashamed to tell your friends and family; I have been in the position of falling out with friends when I say I have no money, thing is people see it as an excuse to get out of plans you have already made but if they're really your friend they'll understand and opt for a movie night at home with your rather than a night on the tiles. Trust me when I say you'll need a strong support system. 

Well guys now all of my cards are on the table, it's ready, set, stop spending and you'll know not to expect any haul posts from me any time soon, and if you do see one slap me on the wrist (or face) and confiscate my bank cards. 

Have you ever faced a self imposed spending ban? Or perhaps a forced spending ban, which you know is totally not what this is or anything (seriously they're making me save money against my will...help me!) be sure to let me know in the comments below and share you top money saving tips. As usual you can catch me on Twitter (not spending) or more from the Granite City Girl blog (where I won't be writing about spending) on Bloglovin.

Until next time folks, can you pay my bills, can you pay my telephone bills?

H.Elizabeth x

2 comments:

  1. I've tried to do one of these so many times, and I've ended up failing every time. I'll have to put these tips to use when I try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly I have tried doing this a few times too only to fall at the first hurdle, but I have convinced myself that if I share my promise on the blog that I'll do it for a good long while this time...that's the theory anyway!

      Hannah | Granite City Girl x

      Delete

Blogger template by pipdig