Friday 12 December 2014

Christmas Gifting | DIY Festive Lip Scrub

Recently I have been experimenting with various scents, flavours, food stuffs and colours in my kitchen, and as odd and potion like and, well, Breaking Bad as that sounds, don't worry it's all in the name of a cost effective Christmas. From a failed attempt at a gingerbread house, too embarrassing to share, to eventually ending with flour, sugar and all matter of ingredients all over my kitchen, living room and my cat, I accepted defeat at the hands of Baking Mad and moved on to something more my speed.

And so with the incredible success (if I do say so myself) of my own little DIY lip scrubs I thought I would share some of  my more festive scrubs with you so you don't have to go along and shell out £5.50 at Lush for Santa's Cola Lip Scrub (not that I am claiming mine are ANY better than Lush but they are tasty!) This is a super easy DIY and I bet you can find most of the ingredients in your kitchen cupboard, the only thing you may have to go on a little hunt for are small plastic containers to hold you lusciously lovely scrubs in.


Christmassy Lip Scrubs

What you will need

3 Tablespoons of caster sugar
3 Tablespoons of conditioning oil (you can use coconut oil, jojoba oil or extra virgin olive oil)
Flavouring of your choice (make sure it won't irritate your face!)
Small amount of food colouring of your choice (optional and remember your face!)
Small pots or containers (depending on how much you make add a bow for decoration)

What you need to do

 Measure out your oil into a small bowl
Add the sugar and mix well
Add the flavouring and colouring (if you have chosen to do so)
Scoop your finished creation into clean containers and you're ready to scrub!

As you can see I opted for the ever so traditional Red and Green, I had pondered going for a yellow food colouring to go for a gold ish scrub... but then I remembered yellow snow is not such a good look especially not for something to rub across your face day to day (good one if you want to give someone a slightly rubbish gift)

If you are looking to make it a little bit more Christmassy I would suggest adding the juice of some cranberries, which will enhance the taste of your scrub and may even give your lips a little bit of a glow (you will just have to add a bit more sugar to get the correct consistency) Flavour wise I chose vanilla (playing it safe following the gingerbread incident) but you could always go for something a little more festive like cinnamon, or dare I say ginger! And if you're feeling a bit more brave you could add some face friendly glitter or dazzle dust into the mix for added sparkle!

I hope you guys have enjoyed this beauty DIY which will hopefully save you some pennies and of course save you from the chaos that is Christmas shopping. I'd love to see your efforts if you decide to tackle this tasty lip scrub or anything that you have been making this holiday season, have you successfully erected a gingerbread house? Of course as you know I love to hear from you so be sure to drop me a comment below, tweet your photos at me on Twitter or if you'd like to keep up with the latest Granite City antics come find me on Bloglovin

Happy gifting folks.
H.Elizabeth x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template by pipdig